Re: [OM] OT: Reno Air Races

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Reno Air Races
From: "deebel" <deebel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 16:42:10 +0100
The pilot's site gives this info

http://www2.leewardairranch.com/racing/galloping-ghost-specs

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Trask [mailto:christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 18 September 2011 16:33
To: Olympus Camera Discussion; Olympus Camera Discussion

> Not to argue with you, but, as I understand it, this is no
> ordinary trim tab.  This is an anti-servo tab, where the
> stick movement sets the angle of the tab, and the tab imparts
> a force to move the elevator.  Losing one tab means that the
> other tab has to do the entire job, and the behavior would be
> difficult to predict.

     That might be, but I'm not familiar with the details of the P-51.
Could be that there is an additional part of the elevator that relieves the
stick pressure, much like the static and dynamic balancing on earlier
aircraft which were sometimes called "elephant ears".  Waco used those as
did Fokker.

     I was looking closely at the photos currently on the CBS News webpage,
and there is more than just a single trim tab missing.  The gap along the
trailing edge of the elevaor has a wide portion and then a narrow portion
missing.

     Trying to find any information on this subject is next to impossible as
the internet is overwhelmed by news of the accident.

Chris