Re: [OM] OT: Reno Air Races

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Reno Air Races
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:07:44 -0500
Maybe it's a situation where flying airplanes with a 1:1 power to weight
ratio is a bit different than other aircraft. Or not. I had two different
instructors and they taught completely different flying techniques. But one
was expert at STOL flying and the other admitted that any runway under a
mile in length and 300 foot wide was too small.

The airport my dad kept his airplane had 25' wide runways in usable lengths
of about 1200-1600' and 100-120' trees on the ends. Maximum angle of climb
was the important speed for us. On windless days (rare) you pretty much
stalled the plane in from the moment the wheels brushed the leaves. We also
never used full flaps because when you needed to do a go-around, you
couldn't dump them in time.

ag

--
Ken Norton