Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 35, Issue 24

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 35, Issue 24
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:43:07 -0400
Your wife is not completely correct.  The studies do claim a heart
attack benefit for middle aged men (only) and for those who have had a
prior heart attack.  However, the benefit is extremely small and one has
to resort to some statistical trickery to claim that it is statistically
significant (eg; using a single tailed test when a double tailed test
should have been used).  They also fail to point out that while they
claim to have delivered a heart attack benefit there is no change in
overall mortality.

But she is correct for all women of any age and for all men of other
than middle age.  That is, there is no study anywhere the shows that
women of any age benefit from reduction of cholesterol.  Likewise, there
is no study anywhere that shows a benefit from reduction of cholesterol
for the elderly, ie; above the age of 60-65.  In fact, the available
studies I'm aware of (Univ. California at San Diego and Univ. of Hawaii,
Leiden Univ.) show exactly the opposite... the higher your cholesterol
the longer you live.  But Univ. of Hawaii remains at least politically
correct.  The abstract of one of their papers says these results are
"not understood".  But Univ. of Leiden is not so PC.
"In people older than 85 years, high total cholesterol concentrations
are associated with longevity owing to lower mortality from cancer and
infection. The effects of cholesterol-lowering therapy have yet to be
assessed."  See: <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9343498>

The data is out there if you care to look... at studies other than those
funded/produced by drug companies.

Chuck Norcutt