Re: [OM] OT: Diet & Heart attacks

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Diet & Heart attacks
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:37:16 +0100
Ken

No, no one flies out of trim, except in a turn (you do trim for the final turn,
however); it's too tiring and leads to inaccurate flying.  In an electric jet
like the F16 you don't have to trim because the control schedule (with gear up)
is that a neutral stick is zero pitch or roll demand.  Once you put the gear
down (or open the in-flight refuelling door) you are in different gains and
require trim for every change of speed etc . . .

Just to be clear, if you are flying level, the throttle controls airspeed,
whatever aircraft you fly.  If, as I wrote in an earlier post to you, you are
in a climb or descent with a fixed throttle, the attitude controls the
airspeed; if you maintain airspeed, in a climb or descent, with attitude,
changing your power setting will adjust your rate of descent or rate of climb.
That's how you adjust your rate of descent around finals: if you are high you
reduce power slightly and lower the nose to maintain your airspeed, and vice
versa.

But power is what you use for airspeed when you are level.  If lower your
attitude you will accelerate, but you will not remain level, and vice versa.

My current Boss is a 130J pilot, having just returned from multiple tours in
Afghanistan.  I asked him today if there was anything different about flying
the 'J', remembering that it's a pretty modern bit of kit, but no: it flies
just like anything else.

I can see that there is scope for confusion or misunderstanding between Mr
Trask and me, but not for rudeness.

Oh well . . .

Chris