[OM] Scan issue

Subject: [OM] Scan issue
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 19:09:32 -0400 (EDT)
Yes, precisely.  They say a good 8X10 can be made.  The scans are not
terribly over compressed as Chuck pointed out, so an easy fix is likely
out.
The solid color areas seem to have lost all tonal subtlety.  My
previous scans had dust, some noise  and occasional artifacts, but were
otherwise pretty good--at least I could usually fix them.  I am not
good enough to fix these, and even if I could, would likely rather get
out a paint brush rather than a lens.  I e-mailed the manager, but am
not holding my breath for any response.

Thanks, all.
Mike

>At highest typical print resolution of 300 dpi a 4x6 only needs
>1200x1800.  3070x2048 is enough to make a pretty good 8x10 with 256
dpi.
>  The size of the files says that the JPEG compression is at a high
<quality level.  Some shops print at 300 but Mpix (and I assume)
Miller's
>print at 250.  So the resolution should be more than acceptable.  But
>that doesn't say anything about the actual scan quality.

Chuck Norcutt