Re: [OM] Chuck is seeking travel suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] Chuck is seeking travel suggestions
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:25:00 -0500
Chuck, getting to Colorado across the plaine gives you a few options. Kansas
and Nebraska are typically considered by my family to be nightime travel
states. I've been across both numerous times to Colorado and once you get
west of Michigan it all starts to look the same. But it is not.

Iowa, of course, has the distinct advantage of being graced with the
presence of Joel, Paul, Tom and Me. Well, three out of four ain't too bad, I
guess. If you time it right, we'll load you up with Iowa corn-fed beef the
likes you've never had before. Based on our discussion on
heart/bloodpressure stuff, this steak will add five years onto your life. If
not, well, you'll die happy. We also have list members in the Kansas City
region (including me, but don't let that scare you off). Route 66? It may
not be quite so romantic as you'd think. But that's OK. You'll need to drive
a Corvette, not your Buick.

OK, navigating the plains to Colorado is generally considered to be either
Nebraska or Kansas. But you actually have one other route which may be of
interest. From Chicago, head NW to Minnesota and go across on I-90. This
way, you can take in the Badlands and Wyoming. Whenever possible, this is my
personal preferred route. Go south to follow the front-range down.

In Colorado, There are several places worthy of consideration. The Arkansas
River canyan between Canon (Canyon) City and Salida. Decent hotels in
Salida. This drive must be taken without being in a rush and as a
photographer you'll be tempted to stop 30 times along the way to take
pictures. Do yourself a favor and pay your $5 parking pass right away so you
can enjoy it more.  Hmm. Consider dropping off your wife at the hotel and
doing a solo day trip down and back through the canyon.

An absolute must-visit is the Great Sand Dunes National Preserve. Something
like 95% of all park visitors arrive mid-late afternoon and are gone first
thing in the morning. They REALLY miss out. This is one of my favorite
spots. It's got it all. Just outside of the entrance is the Great Sand Dunes
Lodge. Perfect for those who don't camp. I would recommend that you dedicate
no less than one complete day at the dunes to appreciate how much it changes
throughout the day. Every hour presents a difference scene.

Escaping the central valley to the west, go through Monte Vista and Del
Norte and follow 160 west. This will take you through Wolf Creek Pass.
You'll go from high-altitude desert to forest. Stay in Pagosa Springs. Plan
on four hours (make it enjoyable) to get from the Dunes to Pagosa Springs.
Trust me, this will be a full-day drive.

I'm really partial to the Silverton area and the Million Dollar Highway.
Again, take your time and end up in Ouray. That drive is a photographer's
paradise. Lodging available in Silverton and Ouray.

I'll leave the description of the Grand Junction area to Candice. She'll
tour guide it up there.

But going south, the Taos NM area simply is heavenly. There is a reason why
it is such a art mecca.

AG