Re: [OM] Lens Storage

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Storage
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 07:43:46 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> Just be sure that by "safe" you have included the possibility
> of protection from fungus. Dark and enclosed and a bit of
> humidity is the breeding ground for fungus.  Fungus will do
> your lenses far more damage than the possibility of a minor
> clunk against another lens.

     Yes, fungus is a concern.  Even though I live in a dry desert area, summer
temperatures and humidity are suitable for fungus.

> Neoprene says to me no air circulation.  Maybe stand them on
> end in a box with some simple cardboard dividers and then
> make sure the box is in a dry place.

     That sparked an interesting idea, which is to use currogated cardboard
wine boxes and store them vertically.  I always use those thick centre-pinch
lens caps so storing them with the objective end down will not be a problem.  I
can get those boxes free at Trader Joe's.  I'm going to give that a try.

> Of course, if you haven't experienced fungus so far then maybe
> what you've been doing is OK.  However, I recently found some
> fungus on a lens that I'd previously have sworn didn't have any.

     I did have some serious fungus on a Vivitar 100-300mm TX lens that I got
on eBay, but thanks to a local camera tech who loosened the objective retainer
ring I was able to clean it all out.

     I don't wrap my lenses up tightly in bubble wrap, just loosely to provide
some cushioning, keeping them open to the air (I don't seal the boxes) so as to
avoid the potential fungus problem.

Chris