Re: [OM] GPS tagging

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS tagging
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 00:52:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Mike,
             the Canon auto-aperture mechanism is on hold as I have been
busy.

The reviews on the Igotu 120 seem to have similar comments to your and Moose's:

Here is summary:
The good :  low cost ~$50,waterproof, decent battery life.  Has many other
targeted uses like sports/fitness. Can be used with 3rd party nav software when
hooked up to laptop usb.
The bad:  not too friendly software to use for photography,requires two steps
for raw/jpeg use. Fixed in place Battery,can only be charged through
proprietary usb cable.

Various user reviews of IgotU :
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2009/03/19/i-gotu-usb-gps-travel-logger-gt-120-review/

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/i-gotu-gt-120-gps-data-logger-review
http://www.randomconnections.com/?p=2419

http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/Mobile-Action-i-gotU-GT-120-USB-GPS-Travel-Logger-Review-4133-04.html

 SONY:
The Sony unit has an added simplified use mode, in that it allows you to plug
in the SD memory card to gps unit, at the end of day, for tagging. No pc or
cables equired, unless you want more control or use a CFcard. ( It might just
be possible to use a SD-CF passive card adapter, I guess?)
Cost is higher at ~$90, and battery life shorter , but it does use an easy to
get,cheap rechargeable battery. More convenient to swap out.  Using the SD card
mode requires some interaction as the software only updates location info, in
batches of 60. This seems a very annoying uneeded step detracting from this
otherwise good feature?
The unit like IgotU, does not support raw files,without 3rd party software like
geosetter.
The Bundled software, seems to get better reviews than IgotU. Sony Memory is
larger but Igotu has wider choice of aquisition/storage rates so may not be as
big a deal.
sony unit has small display,IgotU has 2 leds.

There is a later version of the Igotu product model 200e ($100), which adds BT
for PC connectivity with mapping software (or camera connectivity if supported)
and it has a larger battery and memory.

tim Hughes