Re: [OM] A Worthwhile Olympus Accessory

Subject: Re: [OM] A Worthwhile Olympus Accessory
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:53:48 -0500
>    Well, let's take that thought and step back to the adapter ring itself.
> You have about 1/8" inside diameter that you can fill, and there's nothing
> that says you can't have an extension of the outside diameter along the
> bottom 30-60º.  You just can't easily make it thicker along either portion
> and expect to accomodate all OM base lenses.  That could provide enough
> volume to accomodate an electromagnetic actuator.

Prior to m43, I thought this would have been a potentially viable project.

>From what I've seen, the electronics for a Four-Thirds lens is just
under the lens-mount plate. In fact, I've seen one example where the
screws of the mount actually pass through the circuit board. As a
standard 4/3-OM adaptor is so thin, we'd have to take this circuit
board and move it outboard. If, in fact, we'd be able to keep it
stuffed in there, we'd have to make room for the actuation lever from
the outboard servo. With m43, we would have more than enough space.

Actually, with m43, the one thought I had was to take the entire back
half of the lens, remove the optics entirely, saw it down to length
and secure the OM mount flange on the front of it. I don't know how
powerful the servo in the lens is for aperture shutdown in these
lenses, but the servo is tiny. We might be able to scavange servos
that fit inside this FrankenAdaptor. If not all the way inside, at
least most of the way inside. Obviously, metering is going to be
hosed. The camera would have no idea where you placed the lens
aperture. So manual exposure would be required. But the big advantage
to all this is wide-open focusing.

Why is it that I feel like we've stepped back to the 1950's all over
again. Didn't SLRs before the Nikon F generally have this problem?

Maybe it would be easier to scavange a digital body to make a digital
film back for the OMs. The Sony is almost thin enough.

AG