[OM] Frankendaptor (was: A Worthwhile Olympus Accessory)

Subject: [OM] Frankendaptor (was: A Worthwhile Olympus Accessory)
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:10:54 -0700

> > Well, let's take that thought and step back to the adapter ring itself.
> > You have about 1/8" inside diameter that you can fill, and there's
nothing
> > that says you can't have an extension of the outside diameter along the
> > bottom 30-60º. You just can't easily make it thicker along either
portion
> > and expect to accomodate all OM base lenses. That could provide enough
> > volume to accomodate an electromagnetic actuator.
>
> Prior to m43, I thought this would have been a potentially viable project.

    <<SNIP>>

> Why is it that I feel like we've stepped back to the 1950's all over
> again. Didn't SLRs before the Nikon F generally have this problem?

    Since I began photography with far less, it's not much of a problem for
me to accomodate the slight inconvenience of stop-down metering.  Still,
there is a huge evolutionary gap between film and digital.

> Maybe it would be easier to scavange a digital body to make a digital
> film back for the OMs. The Sony is almost thin enough.

    I had often thought that the logical step from film to digital would
have been just that:  a digital "film pack" that would take the place of the
rear cover of an SLR.  With that in mind, there are plenty of 10M P&S
cameras out there that mike make suitable candidates for such a
FrankenCamera.

Chris