[OM] Chuck is seeking travel suggestions

Subject: [OM] Chuck is seeking travel suggestions
From: "Bob Benson" <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:13:13 -0500
If I were planning such a trip:

1.      Stay off the interstates in Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma,  Arizona.
You miss everything.

a.      In Nebraska:  consider taking state highway 2 through the middle of
the state,  to Wyoming.   Gets you thru the Sand Hills (take a couple of
30-mile trips north into the hills themselves.)  You'll see some really
great small towns, lots of vistas. (Trivia note:  Nebraska has 8 of the 20
counties in the USA with less than 1000 residents.)    This is 7on a scale
of 10

b.      In Kansas:  consider US 50 thru the state.  Lots of "trail" history.
In particular,  see the TallGrass NP, in the middle of the Flint Hills.  Not
at all spectacular, but just terrific.  (Trivia Note:  the Flint Hills has 3
of the 4 largest cattle ranches in the USA.)  This is a 6 on the scale.

c.      In Oklahoma,  consider Lawton and west.  Completely empty
semi-mountainous country except for the town with the airbase, which I can't
currently remember the name of. Starts with an A.  Altus maybe?  They train
the C-17 crews there apparently.  This is 5 on the scale.

d.      In Arizona, consider Blanding (in Utah) to Kayenta, including the
Valley of the Gods side road / park.  Check out Comb Ridge.  A terrific dirt
road - actually two - up and down the edge of the ridge, about 30 miles each
way.  A real adventure.  On the East road,  climb up the Ridge.  The vistas
are unmatched.  This is 9 on the scale if you do the drive thru the Valley
of the Gods park.

e.      The road to Kayenta is Monument Valley,  though I think that is
second rate compared to the area around Mexican Hat,  Bluff,  Blanding.
(Don't speed in the reservation.)  This is a 6 on the scale.

f.       In South Dakota,  consider driving up to Pierre.  Consider going
from there to Rapid City on the US highway.   A lot more interesting than
the Interstate.  This is a 5 on the scale.

g.      In North Dakota, if you get that far north, consider doing the
Missouri River area - a grand canyon like area.  Quite amazing actually.
This is 6 on the scale.

2.       Utah should always take more time than you plan for.   If you
haven't been to these Parks,  you really have to .

a.      Arches.   Just stunning for the first-time visitor.  Stunning I say.
A 10.

b.      Capital Reef.  If you go there,  consider driving down to Buffalo
(or is it Boulder;  I can't remember) down towards Escalante.  Have lunch
there, a wonderful little restaurant.  Then .. if that's the way you go to
Bryce Canyon (highly recommended),  you'll pass thru the Escalante River
canyon area.  Wonderful.   From Boulder (I think it is) consider a side
drive down the "burr trail",  recently paved,  but still great.  You'll drop
into the canyon/desert areas around Lake Powell.  A 9.

c.      Bryce (which others have mentioned).  An 8

d.      Natural Bridges,  least of the four. A 7.

e.      Canyonlands (see White Rim Trail below).  A 10+ if you do the drive.
7 otherwise.

f.       I've already mentioned south east Utah.  An 8 overall.

3.      In Utah:

a.      drive to Moab down state highway 126 (I think this is the right
number) from I 70.  It goes along the Colorado River.  You'll stop 50 times
for pictures.  Maybe 75.   A 9.

b.      Drive the White Rim Trail.  It's in Canyonlands.  This should be the
highlight of the trip.   Drive in from Moab and come out of the Canyon at
Schaeffer Trail (I think, about 20 miles in, but don't quite remember).
Before you go up Schaeffer Trail,  go further down the White Rim about 5
miles.   Just phenomenal.  I can't recommend anything more highly.  When you
get up on top,  go to the end (south) for vistas.  PS:  you probably want an
SUV for this.   A 10+

4.      In California,

a.      drive down the road (US 191?   Don't remember) from Mammoth to Lone
Pine.   Particularly if there's snow in them hills.   An 8.

b.      At lone pine (I think .. there's another small town  in that area)
there's the road up to Mount McKinley.   Take it.   Also, right there,  are
the Alabama Hills.  Most of the really interesting older westerns were shot
there.  I think Gunga Din was too, though that might be a bad memory.  An 8.

5.      Driving thru the east portal of Yosemite is always wonderful.   A 9.

Again,  avoid the tendency to take the interstates.   So much more
interesting and dramatic off of them.

Bob Benson

PS:  sorry for some of the non-specifics;  I'm writing this from Mexico City
w/o my maps and stuff.