Re: [OM] Pentax K Mount Adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Pentax K Mount Adapters
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:34:50 -0700

> I found this K mount Soligor 85-205 on ebay but it doesn't seem to have
> any fixed metal bits next the the aperture arm as you've described.

<http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=375697&image=4820938
54&images=482093603,482093662,482093721,482093790,482093854&formats=0,0,0,0,
0&format=0>

    Yep, it's not there at all.

> But I think this may be what you're talking about on this Pentax 50/4
> macro

<http://www.pentaxanomy.com/ebay/listings/0FC1A4E7-A789-44A1-AC6A-2E0B18BD99
42.jpg>
>   Note the aperture arm at 1 o'clock and a "fixed metal part" below it.

    Yes, that's exactly the item I'm referring to.

> Given that not all lenses seem to have it and that they're not all the
> same size when they do I suspect that this is nothing but a protector
> for the aperture tab when the lens gets set on its hind end.  Just keeps
> it from getting bent.

    Yes, that's a good assumption.  I had also thought that it might be
there to prevent reflections off the actuator, but I like the protector idea
much better.  The adapter ring will be attached to the lens for bloody ever
once I get this matter taken care of.

    I like this lens very much.  It's not as heavy as you might expect, and
learning to operate the three controls without looking at them to little
time to lear, except that the focusing is the reverse of the majority of my
lenses.  Wonderful macro performance.

> But maybe a Pentax owner can validate my assumption before you get out
> the Dremel tool.

    The item is part of a ring that holds the aperture actuator ring in
place.  I'm going to play it safe and ask the repair tech at the local
camera shop to loosen the four screws holding it in place for me.  They're
JIA style Philips head, they're very tight, and I don't want to strip them.
Then I'll mount the part on the end mill rotary table and VERY carfully
remove most if not all of the offending item.

    Thank you for the response.  I now feel comfortable in removing it.

Chris