Re: [OM] GPS tagging

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS tagging
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 00:26:32 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Mike,
             I have been looking into these a bit more. Chuck's suggestion
below looks attractive for the reasons he suggests and the fact you can read
the data from display for use with a map or in uploading a route when hiking.
 I am going to buy the slightly more upscale version of the one he bought ("the
pro version") . This adds a true altimeter (press guage), useful for
mountaineering and also a  true compass. I still like the idea of the Sony
where you don't need a computer to update the card directly, but the other
features make up for this.

The LI-ion battery life depends on how agressive they are, with the charge
voltage on the battery. The loss of capacity per chareg/discharge cycle depends
on  the voltage used. You get more capacity at a standard 4.2V charge voltage
most commonly used, but the cycle life/battery life, is much lower than say
 using a 4.1V charge voltage where the capacity is lower, but it declines at a
much slower rate per cycle, giving better logevity.

The SiGeRF III chipset used in the IgotU products, is not quite as sensitive as
the MK chipsets used in a few other taggers, but seems like the IgotU software
is better than some others.

Tim Hughes