Re: [OM] GPS tagging

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS tagging
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 13:28:27 -0700
Personally I would go for the upgrade to the IgotU120, the 600, because
of the auto-off feature.
<http://www.amazon.com/i-gotU-USB-Travel-Sports-Logger/dp/B0035VESMC/ref=pd_cp_e_1>

Seems like it would be great for saving the battery. Anything fancier
than that and I'll just use one of my normal gps's which are far more
feature rich than that unit Chuck mentions. The 800?? Much superior
software is available too. And hardly more expensive. But then it may be
more than necessary.

Right now I have  a tiny little bluetooth gps that sits on the dash and
sends to the laptop where I have Nat'lG USGS 7.5min topos of all the
western US states. This is indispensable when we navigate the maze of
remote backroads in the desert. I also have them on my little handheld
but the screen is too small to be of much use when driving. Don't want
to end up like that couple from BC. I did think about a sat phone but
that was too expensive for our needs. Now I going to get the new
ResQLink.
<http://www.acrelectronics.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlink-406-gps/>

Mike