Re: [OM] Another Film vs digital debate of note

Subject: Re: [OM] Another Film vs digital debate of note
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:35:52 -0400
Assuming you're talking about the article comparing 8x10 vs 645
digital... agreed.  I didn't read the entire article nor any of the
"peer review" (whatever that is) but immediately concluded that the
problem for the 8x10 was shooting at f/32.  The diffraction limited
resolution of the lens at that aperture is probably 25-30 lp/mm and
system resolution (film, lens and scanner) undoubtedly drop it lower
than that.  The film scan was done at about 30 lp/mm so the scan has
recovered whatever was there.  I think they knew all that to begin with
which is why they didn't scan at a higher resolution... and that's why a
follow-on scan at higher resolution didn't change anything.

Dr. Diffraction