Re: [OM] Another Film vs digital debate of note

Subject: Re: [OM] Another Film vs digital debate of note
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:45:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > The fact is, though, that for all practical purposes,
> > digital has "won".
>

> Actually, the real winners are those still using film.
> Good gear has never been cheaper! Particularly medium and
> large format gear.  Buying it for 1/10 of retail value is
> a sweet deal, and I hope it continues into the future!
>
> And the films of today, while not as wide in variety (and
> notably lacking things like Tech Pan and HIE, and EIR),
> are as good or better than most of what we had back in the
> heyday. Stuff like Ektar 100, Portra 400, velvia, etc.

     I've been keeping my OM-1 film cameras safely stored, and a few years ago
had them converted to silver oxide batteries.  I do so not for nostalgic
reasons but rather to have them readily available should the need arise for
high-definition photos that would require resolution beyond what pedestrian
digital can provide.  High-resolution films such as Tri-Pan-X continue to
outperform the resolution of most if not all digital formats.

     At the same time, better quality film/manual lenses are tremendously
inexpensive compared to pre-digital prices, and they provide an affordable
means for exploring the range of possibilities of what you can do with good
optics.  Once you wean yourself from the crutches of automatic gadgetry you'll
soon learn how to compose photos and use the camera as an extension of
creativity.

Chris