[OM] OT: Science for smart people

Subject: [OM] OT: Science for smart people
From: "George Themelis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:17:04 -0400
I am going back to the totally out of topic discussion about cholesterol and
heart attacks.  I found this video, from a presentation by comedian Tom
Naughton, on the 4th Annual Low-Carb Cruise.  Tom is the writer/direction of
the movie FatHead (which I just got in the mail but have not had a chance to
watch it).

This is a long (45 minutes) but entertaining presentation, which for me
could be a lecture in a university on observational and clinical studies.
Many of our beliefs about the effect of cholesterol, fat, salt, etc., comes
from news titles which, in tern, are inspired from actual observational and
clinical studies.  Tom explains what this means.  What are observational
studies and what are clinical studies?  How to critically look at these
studies and draw your own conclusions, instead of depending on reporters to
summarize the conclusions of the study with a catchy title like "Eating eggs
will make you fat" etc.

I am sure you will enjoy this presentation and become a bit more skeptical
about what conventional medical science says we should be doing, knowing how
this advice was derived.

Here is the link to the YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1RXvBveht0

George