Re: [OM] 100 shootout

Subject: Re: [OM] 100 shootout
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:19:44 -0400
I basically ignored him.  He says he was shooting at 2 meters.  Even
assuming an unrealistically high resolution of 60 lines/mm the DOF at
100mm and wide open at f/2 is still approx. 13mm on either side of the
point of focus.  Using a more realistic resolution number like 40
lines/mm the DOF is about 19mm on either side of the point of focus.
And if he was shooting stopped down as far as only f/4 the depth of
field is about 39mm on either side of the point of focus.

Even though the theoretical DOF calculation says the DOF is nearly
perfectly symmetrical on either side of the point of focus I do accept
that the real lens may distribute it slightly differently.  However, I
don't believe his claims of extraordinary precision in focus even if he
claims he's focusing on pixels.  I don't believe he can focus any more
accurately than to be somewhere within the DOF at the stated
resolutions.  Humbug I says.  :-)

Dr. Focus