Re: [OM] 100 shootout

Subject: Re: [OM] 100 shootout
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 18:12:57 -0400
While what you say is certainly correct (the placement of markings along
the focusing ring is not linear), nevertheless the motion of the lens
tube itself is linear since the pitch of the helical threads does not
change.  All of my analysis was based on the linear back and forth
movement of the lens tube, not the non-linear shift in focus distance.

I used the lens maker's equation to determine the linear shift required
for the lens tube to shift the focal plane over the range of the DOF.
Since the helical's thread pitch is constant that also has a linear
relationship with the angular change and linear change measured at the
circumference of the focusing ring.

I stand by my original analysis.  Focus on your same target again at 2
meters.  Mark the focus position very precisely. Move the target about
25mm closer or farther and refocus.  I'm sure you will find the total
linear movement of the focusing ring to be less than 1mm.  Actually,
I'll allow you to move the target 38mm or 1-1/2 inches.  I still think
the total refocusing movement will be less than 1mm on the focusing ring.

If I'm wrong I'll buy your dinner when we get to Grinnell.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt