Re: [OM] IMG: Fully Restored 1948 Stinson 108-3

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Fully Restored 1948 Stinson 108-3
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:52:08 -0500
Hi Chuck and Frank,

It's funny to see where this thread has wandered.  I have similar concerns
about the "little things"  that can go wrong with automobiles.  My wife has
a 1989 Volvo 740 wagon that has only 66,000 miles on it, and it still has
the original cooling system hoses, though I keep planning to get them
changed.  As we approached 80 years of age, I was concerned about the same
things that Chuck mentions, and bought a used Cadillac Catera.  It ran
great, but had a number of small problems that I could never overcome.  We
finally purchased a 2007 Volvo V70, which should last us the rest of our
driving life.

As an illustration of the little things that can go wrong, I will relate the
last one that stopped us dead in our tracks.  Driving home in town in the
early evening, I made the last turn toward home, started up a hill, and the
Volvo 740 engine stopped dead.  A passerby helped me push it back down the
hill into a parking lot.  Using a small flashlight, I looked for a possible
cause, and could find none.  We left it and got a ride home.  The next day I
had my local Volvo shop pick it up.  They found that the coil wire had
dropped off the distributor.  On the Volvo 4-cyl the distributor is at the
back, against the firewall, and the wire attaches from below.  There was no
way I could see this, or predict its likelihood of happening.

I still like the old ones for local driving.  I use a 1994 Chevy S-10 pickup
for a variety of chores, and it gets the job done very well, but small
things still have to be replaced.  I recently replaced the windshield wiper
control board for the second time since I have owned it.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA