Re: [OM] ETTR with the Sekonic L-508

Subject: Re: [OM] ETTR with the Sekonic L-508
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:21:02 +0200
Hi Chuck, Mike and all,

From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Although I adhere to the shoot-to-the-right method which I learned at
>Luminous Landscape here:
><http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml>
<snip>

From: usher99@xxxxxxx
>A link  within the 2003 article cited by Chuck was interesting--it
>updated it for 8/2011.

<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml>
<snip>

Very interesting links, both of them. However, the reason behind the
signal-to-noise improvement with ETTR is clear: it _decreases_ the effective
ISO...

I recall doing a similar experiment a while ago... the GF1 has acceptable
quality (well, sort-of) up to ISO 800, but that's on daylight WB -- on
Tungsten setting it's no longer that good. Since the sensor's native WB
seems closer to daylight, what if I left the daylight setting and put a 80A
filter instead? I did it and reusulting image quality was _way_ better...
but then realized that now the exposure was equivalent to ISO 200 -- the 80A
filter loses about two stops :-(

I should have compared it with another shot without filter, but on Tungsten
WB @ ISO 200. Maybe some day...

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)