Re: [OM] Extension Tubes

Subject: Re: [OM] Extension Tubes
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:36:48 +0100
I have never understood the use of the Chinese 4/3 manual extension tubes,
Chris. Sure, they provide the extension necessary for close-up work - but
being devoid of any electrical contacts, they disable AF, make it impossible
to control the diaphragm of any 4/3 lens, and most likely make it impossible
to use the focus ring too. Of course, you could argue that neither is
essential for close-up work!  If I am forced to work with a dumb lens like
that, I would far rather use a manual focus macro lens, with a choice of
extension tubes or bellows, all fitted to the camera using a normal 4/3
adaptor. This approach means that you can use almost any 35mm film lens and
macro system, including (from my own experience) an Exakta-mount
Macro-Tessar lens fitted to a Nikon PB-4 bellows :-)

It would be a different story if you could choose to mix and match what you
describe as the camera base and lens base, because then you could build a
flexible system of lens adapters, but the vnedors have not caught on to that
possibility.  In other words, don't waste your money on the Chinese 4/3
extension tubes!

Piers