[OM] Camera Handling and Lens Changes

Subject: [OM] Camera Handling and Lens Changes
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:26:46 -0500
For the past several years I've been having a problem. I really don't
understand what is going on. It used to be that I could change lenses
quickly, easily and without any issues. Everything in the bag seemed to fit
and have a home. Now, when I go to change lenses, it takes me much longer
and with a whole lot more steps and concerns. A few thoughts come to mind:

1. I'm carrying more gear.
2. My grip has continued to decline.
3. Increased finger numbness.
4. My workflow is off.
5. Bag arrangement.

It has gotten to the point where I would rather take a compromised
photograph than stop to change lenses.

Other things that cross my mind is that I didn't use lens caps as much as I
do now. During a shoot, the lenses would go face down in the bag and I'd
just pop a rear cap on it. But I tend to use filters for B&W and polorizers,
so these also have to switch between lenses. Changing a lens just opens up a
whole can of worms. When I get back to the house, it takes me 20 minutes to
get everything situated back in their proper bags and recapped.

Is the issue one of too many choices? Possible. Too many possible
combinations? Certainly. I've always carried two camera bodies, but these
days it's usually three. Color film, B&W film and digital. When travelling
analog, the digital body is the first thing to shed. But what if the scene
begs to be photographed in both color and B&W? Whatever lens is used for the
composition must be swapped between the two bodies. This, of course, is for
personal work, not event/portrait shooting where I'm using only one film.

What I'm not understanding is how I'm not doing much of anything different
than I did years ago. It's just that I can't seem to manage my choices as
well.

So, here is a description of my smaller bag. Maybe the answer jumps right
out at you. I think I might be seeing something, but it's just not clear to
me at the moment:

- Medium-sized shoulder bag
- OM-4T with wide-to-normal prime lens. This fits in the largest space which
just takes the camera and prime lens up to 100/2.
- OM-3Ti with body cap. This fits in a spot where a lens would normally fit.
- wide-angle lens (typically 24/2.8) or normal lens (typically 50/2.8).
Whichever lens not on camera fits in this slot. A 35/2.8 or extension tube
will sit under this prime, filling out the rest of the spot.
- 100mm lens in another spot.
- 200mm lens in the final spot.
- Side pocket with film, filters and accessories.

Depending on the task at hand, there are many possible substitutions, but
this gives you an idea of my "going for a walk" kit. My event kit is much
more dedicated and avoids almost all lens changes.

AG