Re: [OM] Since we're talking about planes (actually on-topic)

Subject: Re: [OM] Since we're talking about planes (actually on-topic)
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 05:46:51 +0100
Yes, it looks good, albeit about to drop out of the sky when it performs a
wingover (chandelle).

I bet you were delivering weapons, if you were at Machrihanish.  In case you
didn't realise, Chris, that's on the Mull of Kintyre, sung about by Paul
McCartney and his group, Wings.

The Argosy was nicknamed the Whistling Tit, for its appearance and the sound of
its wings.  I think that the flight deck was bigger than the Herc's.  During my
early RAF career, it was relegated to use as an a approach aid calibrator until
the early 80s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Whitworth_AW.660_Argosy#Hawker_Siddeley_Argosy_E_Mk_1

The Shorts 360 was a very useful aircraft because of its boxy shape. It could
carry what would be awkward loads for other aircraft of that class; it was
called the C-23 Sherpa with the USAF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-23_Sherpa

And its use helped industry in Northern Ireland during the Troubles . . .

Chris