Re: [OM] (was) colour management now PHP etc

Subject: Re: [OM] (was) colour management now PHP etc
From: "List, OM" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 23:12:18 -0700
Adding onto what Moose and Scott said ...

I see your web host supports something called "Image Galleries", and
also "Image Magick", "Wordpress", and "Zen Cart".

You could probably build a very attractive site without learning to deal
with MySQL, nor hardly any php just by using the applications they already
support/install for you. The most immediate limitation would be that you
would likely not be able to test your new web pages without uploading them
to your server.

I don't recognize "Image Galleries" but the other three are often used by
web designers to create websites for their clients and are considered
reasonably easy, quick, and secure ways to create a web site. If you create
your own website using MySQL you will probably have to study how to make it
secure from hackers. As soon as your website includes visitor input, hackers
will start probing it for weaknesses.

When I added a feedback form I saw a steady stream of computer created spam
being input. When I added a php page I almost immediately saw automated
attempts to reach both the php and MySQL  configuration and  admin tools. I
renamed all of the php pages to a .htm suffix and altered the config to
treat htm pages as if they were php pages. I still get automated attacks but
they don't seem to be increasing. The automated hackers will find your
website before the right people find it. Even if learning about MySQL and
php is an interesting activity for you, I would still recommend using
applications if they can do what you want just to avoid the security issues.

Jeff Keller