Re: [OM] Back after many harrowing adventures

Subject: Re: [OM] Back after many harrowing adventures
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:13:38 -0400
Thanks, Chris. After spending a long weekend with my son's friends, as well as
friends of the bride, I don't  feel so young anymore. <g>

So, this list is full of old poops: for what it's worth:

Four arteries feed the brain. They all tap into what's known as the "circle of
Willis (SP?)." Smaller arteries branch off the circle (which circumnavigates
the skull) and arch over the brain's lobes. Occasionally, though rarely, when
standing up quickly, people prone to lightheadedness, such as myself, will get
an uneven blood flow to a part of the brain. This mimics a TIA, but when the
flow is equalized, the symptoms disappear. There is no residual damage of any
kind such as appears after a real mini-stroke. (Okay, docs on the list, I know
this is likely full of holes, but that's how it was explained to me.)

Part of the aftermath is that my doc reduced my blood pressure medication, as
I've been such a sterling patient that as I get older I'm getting off meds
rather than onto them. Just bragging, but when the hospital did my blood work,
the overall cholesterol was 135. Bad was 67, good was 55. Lying around the
hospital, my Bps ran roughly 110/55. Up and around they're more like 116/60.
Twelve days after BP med reduction, it was 120/65.

I'm a gold star boy. <g>

The most amusing part was watching a couple of docs examining my test results
and then talking themselves out of recommending I start a statin regime anyway.
It was a struggle. <g>

That said, even with the good oatmeal, I think all in all I'd prefer to stay
out of hospitals for a while.

--Bob