Re: [OM] Time to move on? Flood delay.

Subject: Re: [OM] Time to move on? Flood delay.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 22:41:52 -0500
> Your announcement prompted me to read a detailed review of the NEX-7, and
it
> appears to have a lot going for it, in addition to five times the pixels
of
> the E-1.  Good luck with the acquisition and transition.

Well, that's part of the reason why I posted. To get others to look at it
too and come to their own conclusions. The camera may not be perfect, but it
has several things I consider rather important:

1. Built-in EVF
2. Hot-shoe. Granted, it has the dorky (but excellent) Minolta shoe and no
PC socket, but it is highly usable and effective. Use of an EVF doesn't take
up the shoe.
3. Rangefinder camera size/shape.
4. Programmable control dials.
5. Tilting LCD.
6. Ability to take legacy lenses.
7. Tons of quality pixels.

Anyway, I like what I see and I've played around enough with the earlier
models to get an idea of the design mentality. They were all no-gos because
the target market was definitely that of the P&S crowd. This one is quite
different and is more like the old Minolta A1/A2/A200. (A backup camera
could always be a lost-cost 5N).

Regarding the flash system, the Minolta (Sony) system is extremely good and
works great with combination of on-off camera flashes (used within the
limits of the optical triggering).

Regarding pixel-counts, As this camera will have to hold court for a few
years, I want to make sure that it is comparable to the best out there. No
more jumping in behind the 8 ball. I'm not one to be too excited about
megapixels (obviously, since I've stuck with sub-8 MP sensors all this
time), but this time I'm not going to buy something old-tech. Just as 6mp
was the threshold a few years ago, 18mp is the threshold today. 24mp is in
bonus land.

There is one camera which might derail me from this and that would be the
5Dmk3, but with the tripling in cost, and the increased size, I'm not too
excited about going that direction.

Oh, one feature which sealed the deal: Electronic first-curtain!!!! 20ms
shutter-delay!!!! One reason why I had troubles considering the
Olympus/Panasonic bodies is the shutter dance that goes on when you press
the shutter-release. The cameras always felt a quarter step behind me. Makes
me wonder what the fastest shutter-sync speed will be.

AG