Re: [OM] IMG: Leica 28mm Elmarit-R at the Airport

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Leica 28mm Elmarit-R at the Airport
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 18:55:26 -0700
Keep in mind that, if the 28mm Elmarit-R was designed for 35mm film, the
DoF scales relate to 35mm and not 4/3 format.  When shooting at f/8 the
appropriate hyperfocal scale on 35mm format lens when used on 4/3 format
is f/4.  DoF is related to final image magnification and a 4/3 image
needs to be magnified twice as much as a 35mm image to get the same
output size.  Therefore, the DoF parameters are twice as stringent.  If
you set it at f/8 then use the Dof Scale for f/4 or two stops larger
aperture than the aperture you're actually using.

Of course, if all you're doing is making web images instead of 8x10
prints then the DoF requirements are considerably relaxed.

Chuck Norcutt