Re: [OM] I'm back

Subject: Re: [OM] I'm back
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 18:44:46 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Wong" <mialop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi, C.H.,
> Long time no see. How are you?
> I didn't touch Randy for a while, do you keep in touch with him? I still
> keep in touch with Bobby & Chris.

I have regular phone conversations with Randy but have not contact Bobby for
some time.

> Hong Kong education system ........... um ............ I think it's never
> be
> good at all, even in the era of UK-HK government. But HK SAR government
> make
> it more worse. I do not think it's too small numbers of high school
> student
> enter universities in Hong Kong. I have an opposite opinion, too many
> universities in Hong Kong. There are 7 or 8 universities in a near 8
> million
> population city? Recent a couple of years, we found the quality of
> graduate
> university students are going down. We know some universities to recruit
> enough numbers of student to get enough fund, even the standard of
> students
> are below average. Review the history, the era of 2 universities in Hong
> Kong, the quality of graduate university students were very high. I do not
> say all graduate university students are poor, I mean average quality of
> graduate university students are not satisfied.
>
> A truth case, one section of English skill training of a training program
> in
> my company. The tutor is working in University of City Poly, she said the
> 3rd year students still failed to write a correct resume even group
> working.
> She also said, some of us, English skill is better than her students
> ............ we are no one with degree qualification.

Certainly, there are some students not up to the standard, especially in
English but this happen to many Asian countries. One can't blame the
education system, if you do not prepare to be one of the best then you won't
do good even study overseas. The ranking of HKU is number 1 in Asia and
number 21st in the world (2010-2011 Times Higher Education World University
Rankings), don't expect magic just go aboard.

BTW, English is important but not everything, proficient in the subject you
study pay the most important part.

C.H.Ling