Re: [OM] I need your ideas and suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] I need your ideas and suggestions
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 08:51:36 -0500
Use what you got. Charge for the sitting fee (somewhere between $75 and
$150) and then charge for reprints at 2X your cost. For the album cover
(mass production), figure about $200 at the most.

The rates for mass printing and commerical applications has severely
depressed. The days of making $2000 for an album cover are long long gone.

I mention the reprints, because that's where most of your income from the
job is going to be. Even though he might be looking for album art, he'll
want 8x10 glossies, web page images, business cards, post cards, posters,
and so on. The album itself is only a portion of the job.

Figure to profit about $500 for this job. Inotherwords, about $1000 gross
sales, you get the keystone of 1/2 that.

Doesn't seem like much, but unfortunately, that's where the market is at
right now. Don't believe the hype on some of the photoforums of people
claiming to make $2000 per day, every day... There are only a couple dozen
photographers in the world doing that and they aren't hanging around on
DPREVIEW. Kirk Tuck is a good indicator of national trends. If someone as
well established as him struggles, then you can pretty well figure out who
is blowing smoke. (same is true with the wedding photographers--I've NEVER
done a $10,000 wedding in my life. Not even $5000. Come to think of it, I've
never even done $2500. But I can sell $800-1200 weddings all day long.

AG Schnozz