Re: [OM] Spiffy Accessory

Subject: Re: [OM] Spiffy Accessory
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:29:54 +0100
The Pinetree product may, or may not, operate an E-series SLR. This is what
Michael Cochran, the developer, said when I tried it 3 years ago:
" The version of the Olympus SDK camera controller is using to talk to the
e-series camera is somewhat unreliable and it can be difficult to get the
camera recognized.  That said, it does usually work."

It didn't work for me, but Michael's handling of the matter was impeccable -
and he may have the problem fixed by now.

http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl_eseries.asp

There are alternatives:

Firstly, Olympus Studio has indeed been discontinued, but it is still to be
found as a demo on E-series camera CDs. The demo does not provide camera
control - you need to buy it and register. It is said that Olympus USA will
now provide a registration code FoC to anyone who asks, recognising that
Viewer, the replacement for Studio, does not offer any camera control
function. See here: http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=65621
It is also said that the relevant registration code has been posted
somewhere (if only I could remember where*).

Secondly, the necessary code to activate camera control in Viewer can be
installed by installing (and not later un-installing) the Studio demo
mentioned above. But this will likely only work with a non-current version
of Viewer, as it has also been reported that a version of Viewer
previously-working for camera control was disabled following a version
upgrade. See here: http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=65593
although my original source for this was a Polish reference to
http://forum.olympioniken.de/showthread.php?t=3768

And thirdly, Richard Man, late of this very list, has a simple fast
tethered-shooting (only - no preview, no image display) application
E-Capture available for less than USD15 at www.imagecraft.com

Piers

* since my memory is failing, you'll have to search the messages at this