Re: [OM] Spiffy Accessory

Subject: Re: [OM] Spiffy Accessory
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:38:44 -0400 (EDT)

> >      Reading further:
> >
> >      http://pinouts.ru/DigitalCameras/olympus-c70z_pinout.shtml
> >
> > the #4 pin on the micro-USB connector is the shutter for
> > the E-510, etc.  On my E-500, that pin is dead when the
> > môde is set to CONTROL.  From a couple of blogs I understand
> > that the OLYMPUS STUDIO software operates the shutter by way
> > of a code sent to the camera's uC.
> >
> >      Seems that this is probably a lost cause.  God knows how
> > many people have tried to sort this out in the past.
>
> Why do you need to set the mode to "Control"?  All you're doing is
> activating the shutter button via a remote controller.  The camera
> shouldn't care and all other normal modes should work.

     On the E-500 there is no direct connection between the connector and the
shutter, which is why you cannot use any of the cable-connected remotes.  This
was also omitted on the E-330.  You can, however, control the camera from a PC
using software such as OLYMPUS STUDIO, but you have to set the USB môde to
CONTROL in order to enable the communication link with the PC.  Not exactly
convenient for field work.

     The connection from the connector to the shutter did not appear until the
E-510.  On the E-500, your only other opportunity for remote control is by way
of the infrared, which is on the front of the camera body.  Also not
convenient, but you can set up a reflecting surface.

     Some users have gotten a bit innovative in addressing this problem:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=33296841

     I suppose you could make a cleaner version of this by attaching it to one
of those hot shoe covers.

Chris

Regards,
Chris