Re: [OM] IMG: Quique Dacosta

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Quique Dacosta
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:52:44 -0700 (PDT)
Ah, the old USSR,

They had the vodka and the good looking women, we had the wine and the good
looking men...:)

Actually, there is another reason for her liking Bulgarian "stuff".  It became
more apparent after the collapse of the Eastern Block and Russians flocked to
live in Bulgaria:  that was the only country where they were welcome even after
imposing their rule for forty sompin' years.  If it weren't for their sacrifice
in the late 1800's, we would be still part of the Ottoman Empire.

As I mentioned, I know well and love these varieties of wines, but never had
these particular ones.  I will be in STL around Christmas and will visit the
store I was talking about, it is supposed to be a big operation, also serving
as a main distribution center for the entire Midwest and parts South.  I will
send you a link once my mother gets back to me with it.

I am familiar with the group that you are talking about, they are often
featured on WGBH and a local college radiostation that plays only eclectic
variety of music.  Funny thing is, none of them is Bulgarian (the singers, that
is, not the radiostations...:), but I cant detect an accent.

Boris

P.S.  I am no wine expert either, I just know if I am going to drink the rest
of the bottle after the first couple of sips...:)

  Thanks for the info Boris. I'm always looking for something new to try but
I'm no wine expert. Your opinion of Bulgarian wines was confirmed by a
Russian physician on staff who said they were her favorites when she lived
in the USSR. I've noted some of the names and will keep my eyes open for
them.

Charlie

PS On another Bulgarian theme, I heard a singing group this weekend at the
LEAF festival in Black Mountain, NC. Group is called Rising Appalachia. Two
sisters with wonderful voices. Between songs they related they had spent
part of the year touring Bulgaria and had picked up some folk songs from a
woman's group they met. Of course I had no clue of the lyrics but the melody
and their harmonies were amazing.