Re: [OM] National Geographic Photo Contest! I would appreciate your comm

Subject: Re: [OM] National Geographic Photo Contest! I would appreciate your comments.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 09:49:18 -0500
The two images are excellent. Which one is more "contest-worthy?"
Spanish Eyes gets my nod.

Consider how images are selected. An image has to stand well at a
glance. Even a glance at just a thumbnail image on a computer screen
lined with 20 other images. The only way for an image to stand out is
for bold lines, high contrast and essentially strong shapes. The image
must grab the attention and hold it just long enough for the person to
decide to investigate deeper. The nice thing is that Spanish Eyes is a
terrific stand-alone image so it does hold up to the additional
scrutiny.

Forever Friends is of a different genre. Does it stand up as well at a
thumbnail glance? Kinda sorta, but not as well as the eyes. What
Forever Friends has going for it is the lingering and the emotion. I'M
there on the hammock touching the dog. I'm remembering my childhood
(if I had such a nice dog instead of a stubborn basset hound), I'm
enjoying the peaceful summer afternoon lazing around listening to the
birds.

Inotherwords, with Forever Friends, there is an emotional attachment
to the photograph. Just as with every other viewer, that person in the
photograph is me. Girls peaking around a doorway? Not so much.

Yet, with everybody else playing the same bold, contrasty game, it may
be possible that Forever Friends, which is far more lyrical, would be
the one that stands out. It's impossible to guess how images will be
selected from one year to the next. What usually happens is that what
is the winning image one year will be duplicated by most participants
the next.

AG