Re: [OM] National Geographic Photo Contest! I would appreciate your comm

Subject: Re: [OM] National Geographic Photo Contest! I would appreciate your comments.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 14:55:45 -0700
On 11/2/2011 7:09 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> "Spanish Eyes" does fit the current aesthetic or style which seems to
> be popular these days. Formulaic? Absolutely. Excellent execution,
> though. No doubt about that.

No doubt at all.

A problem with a shot in a current style, and especially with obvious reference
to such a famous image as Steve
McCurry's Afghan girl, is that the public may suddenly tire of it, leaving
excellent similar examples high and dry.

Styles of image are close to eternal, but popularity of any one comes and goes.
I was recently in the Isabella Stewart
Gardner Museum in Boston, and was quite taken with a small painting in the
Macknight Room. It's of the head of a girl in
the middle east that immediately reminded me the the McCurry although quite
different in medium and details.

Unfortunately, photography is not allowed (unlike the much larger MFA a couple
of blocks away) and the shop is closed
during construction of a big new wing, so I have no catalog as yet. It's also a
minor enough work that it's not online.
So I can't show you.

The other problem, perhaps only for me, if I had made this image, and if I was
intentionally trying out a style famous
in the moment from the work of another, would be in putting it in a contest.
Take it, see how I like it, play with the
style, show it to friends, sure. Enter it in a contest, not so sure. But again,
that's just me.

> ... David is definitely one of the better photographers I (virtually) hang
> around with.

Me too. :-)

Moose