[OM] Need new camera? G3 or ?

Subject: [OM] Need new camera? G3 or ?
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 20:06:03 -0400
Life has been very busy and I apologize for my limited contributions here. Not
that I really have anything intelligent to contribute anymore, unlike in the
past when I used to know stuff, or thought I did... now-a-days I know I'm not
so smart.

I'm at the point where I need a new camera system. I currently have the C*non
5D and some nice lenses, having passed on most of my OM gear to decent homes.
With the 5D and full frame, I find the bulk just too much for most of what I
want to do, such as travel, be discrete, and low drag, not so compatible. I
love my 5D, and the lenses, and when I head outhiking from home or backyard, no
problem, but it has become just to cumbersome a system for being discrete, for
travel, and as a  general carry around camera. I  guess I still miss the OM-4t
system, but don't miss scanning film and post processing.

So I started looking. The new Fujifilm X10 looked interesting, with f2 optics
and nominal zoom. But then I started looking at the Panny G3, and the size is
not all that much different. Not to mention the cost is similar and the sensor
is micro 4/3's compared to 2/3", with choices of lenses.

So, I'm looking for recommendations. Is the Lumix G3 a worthy choice for
putting together a small system? The G3 requires IS lenses if IS is desired.
Some interesting micro 4/3s  Panasonic lenses are:

20/1.7
14-42 3.5-5.6
14-45 3.5-5.6
45-200 4-5.6
100-300 4-5.6

Not sure how well any of them perform other than reviews online.

(I'm puzzled as to why there is a 14-42 and 14-45, which seem nearly identical.)

Any one have suggestions? Am I looking in the right direction for a decent
small system? I've always felt Olympus was innovative with systems, but their
performance in digital cameras was always lagging.

Also, I have no experience with EVF, something I thought I would never
consider, but same goes for the transition from film. It is a tradeoff for
small mirrorless cameras. I need some sort of viewfinder though.

I feel so out of touch and welcome any suggestions. I really need a small
system. But it has been quite a while since I looked at cameras.

thanks
Wayne S