Re: [OM] (OM) OT Jet fighters tripping around

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Jet fighters tripping around
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:27:21 -0600
No, no. The A 37 was a modification of the earlier T 37, which was
grotesquely underpowered, with those French turbines that put out about 1200
lbs. each, less thrust than noise. The A 37 was designed as a more
affordable ground attack aircraft for what was called at the time
Counterinsurgency. It could deliver a lot of stuff for a smaller price tag
than the high priced spreads of the day. The A model required a lot or
redesign, as the engines went through a large cast/forged center section of
the spar. The replacement  engines were about 6000 lbs.each, standard pure
jets of the day.

Of course the  Lightning was in a different class, designed for a very
different role, but the pounds vs. weight counts in any thing with wings.

Now, Hawker-Beechcraft is doing the same thing with their T-6, reengined it
with a larger PT6 and hard points, and is in competition with the Brazilian
equivalent for a large USAF contract. It's advantage (along with the
Brazilian) is low cost of acquisition and maintenance.

Bill