Re: [OM] Lens design, bokeh, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens design, bokeh, etc.
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 14:39:20 +0000
Actually, most modern LF lenses have specs comprable to (or sometimes better
than)  small-format lenses, and almost always without the inherent
distortion in retrofocus wide-angles, since LF lenses are often close to
symmetrical.

The aforementioned Chris Perez lens tests show some fine specs for modern LF
glass, with up to 85+ lp/mm test results. That's a superb resolution, even
by the standards of the best 35mm lenses. Look at the Mamiya 7 tests he ran
if you really want to be wowed.

Most 35mm glass doesn't hit 50 lp/mm, at least not in the corners, btw.  Old
tests from Modern Photo and pop photo magazines bear this out.

Most LF glass peaks at between f/11 - f/22, with f/16 often being the 'best'
aperture. Depending on subject, you can shoot @ f/16 and still get great
DOF, since movements are an option on LF cameras.

As mentioned,  with the huge film real estate, there is a signficant
advantage to MF and LF film, even if the lenses weren't up to par vs. 35mm
(though they often are.)

-Ed