Re: [OM] Lens design, bokeh, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens design, bokeh, etc.
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 10:38:24 -0500
With the newer mirrorless cameras, (and even 35mm or MF) where the lens
is so close to the sensor, it seems a near impossibility to get such LF results,
simply because of extra retrofocus elements required. More than just the
lp/mm sharpness, the effect is most likely due to the distance from lens to
film plane, allowing for a more symmetrical lens. Of course that distance
means larger film, but I believe it is the distance of lens to film plane that
allows for a simpler lens design that achieves good resolution, but with
the result in smoother transition to OOF areas.

Achieving that effect with modern cameras and complex lenses might be doable
by capturing multiple focus points and combining the result in such a way that
some of the desired OOF points are blurred in a controlled way. Maybe with
a Lytro Multi-Focus Camera, the image data could be processed to create that
effect.

Another way might be to create a spherical sensor, sort of like an eyeball.
Maybe add light fibers to a flat sensor to create the spherical focus point.
Maybe it is because we see with eyeballs, that the effect in the LF photo,
with smoother transition to OOF areas matches better how we perceive
the world, hence is more pleasing to view.

Wayne S