Re: [OM] Need new camera? G3 or ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Need new camera? G3 or ?
From: "Peter Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 12:00:44 -0800
Cc: pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> A January ship date is not going to make it
>> to Puerto Rico. Did I understand you correctly? no NEX-7 until January?

> Yes, unfortunately that what the rep said. Perhaps she was being
> conservative as not to disappoint, but no way to know. Seems better to
> have it ship before the holidays. I bet it will sell like hotcakes.
> Many nice choices.

> Mike

Wayne:  I'm a little late to this discussion, but here goes. I currently
use a Panny G1 as my third camera, behind my Leica M8 and Olympus E-30.

The G1 has many things I like:  Small and light, live view and live
histogram, the best built-in electronic viewfinder short of the Sony NEXs,
really good native lenses, and the ability to use my OM Zuikos. It's just
really versatile.  I with it had in-body stabilization like the Oly m-4/3
models, but the viewfinder trumped the IS for me.

I call the G1 "Boris," because it's "good enough" (apologies to Willie
Wonka).  The IQ isn't nearly as good as the M8 and not quite as good as
the E-30, but it often serves just fine. So when I don't want to hassle
with all the other stuff, the G1 often comes with me.

In the last two years, I had two "frozen shoulders" im succession, which
made it difficult to carry much (that's cleared up now).  So on a recent
vacation trip to BC, Canada, I took the G1, its 14-45 f/3.5-5.6 zoom, the
Panny 20/1.7, and a little Leica-mount Voigtlander 90/3.5 APO Lanthar and
adapters. It served very well.  There was some smoke from forest fires in
the air, so that's the atmosphere, not the camera. The EXIF will tell you
what lens was used, and if you see no focal length, that's the 90. Right
click on the pics and view "Original" size for best resolution.
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/sets/72157625457108842/>

Here's another with the Voiglander 90:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/4995371422/sizes/o/in/photostream/>

Here's a couple from a classical concert, shot with the OM 50/1.4 at f/2
(s/n 1,050,xxx, one of the "special good" later samples):

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/4471628846/sizes/o/in/set-72157622634233181/>
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/4471628956/sizes/o/in/set-72157622634233181/>

Focusing the 50 and 90 is relatively easy with the 10x focusing
magnification you can switch on. The usual inconveniences of focusing wide
open and stopping down manually apply.

The kit zoom is very, very good, though slow (and the original 14-45 is
distinctly better than the cheapened 14-42 that replaced it).  The 20/1.7
is stellar, as good as your best Zuikos, and even--dare I say
it?--approaching Leica quality.

What I don't like:  Shutter lag. ISO 400 is OK with respect to noise, but
ISO 800 is marginal, more of a compromise than on the M8. The 20/1.7
focuses more slowly than you'd like, and metering doesn't work in low
light unless you use spot metering. Dynamic range is a little less than
the E-30, much less than the Leica.

Because of the compromises, I've held off on purchasing anything more for
micro 4/3 until I see where the market is going. Right now, the newer
cameras like the G3 and GH2 offer incrementally better IQ, but not enought
for me to spend the upgrade bucks. Since micro 4/3 marketing is more
oriented towards P&S upgraders, they may or may not satisfy my desire for
something truly better.  I might be interested in a NEX 5n or 7, or maybe
I'll go to the Pentax K-5 successor or the Nikon D7000.  Or I may do
nothing.

Recently several LUG members went on a safari in Kenya. Two people on that
trip used micro 4/3, mostly with the 100-300 Panny zoom.  They did very
well.  The Nikons (D700 and D7000) did a bit better the ISO needed to be
pushed up. But often, the m-4/3 was good enough. And much more portable.
See:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hwulff/trips/kenya/>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Kenya2/>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Lake+Nakuru/>