[OM] Re geology of the Madeira archipelago

Subject: [OM] Re geology of the Madeira archipelago
From: Michael Hobart <mhobart@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 06:41:03 -0700
The oldest exposed rocks in the Madeira archipelago are about 5.2 Million years
old, the most recent eruptions in the archipelago are about 6,500 years old.

On Thursday, November10, 2011, at 4:16 AM, olympus-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Madeira
> Date: November 9, 2011 6:32:43 AM MST
> To: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Thanks, Brian.  It is a beautiful place.
>
> We understand that the volcano that formed Madeira lies under the sea around
> 6km south of the capital, Funchal.
>
> And when we walked on the top, we saw the various forms of cooled lava from
> the eruption(s).  But I think it's pretty old and inactive.
>
> Chris
>
> On 9 Nov 2011, at 12:54, Brian Swale wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the tour Chris; some great shots there; amazing landscape.
>>
>> Having seen the results of earthquakes hitting cliffs and peaks, I'm
>> somewhat surprised at where they have built houses right in the line of
>> debris fall.

Michael Hobart
mhobart@xxxxxxx

The Generations Tips pages and some of my personal genealogy is available at
http://users.sisna.com/mhobart