[OM] BNSF 5942 - Headed West--now Noise

Subject: [OM] BNSF 5942 - Headed West--now Noise
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:13:55 -0500 (EST)

AG writes:
>The blue-channel noise in this film really is a bit, uh, off, but not generally
>too evil. I usually run the image through a noise-reduction algorithm to
>whack it a bit, but in this case, because of all the texture in the image,
>it caused too much smearing and artifacts.

Hmm, what noise reduction software?   Neatimage?  Noiseware?  Noiseware allows
one to remove noise just in a channel (and by freq of noise in the channel!) if
desired.  Perhaps it is better for scanned Ektar. Worth a trial download?--free
trial does watermark the image though)

http://www.imagenomic.com/nwpg.aspx

There is a video tutorial that gives an overview.  Seems very powerful with
manual tweaking.
The NHM (newly hitched Moose) is yet to render a long awaited opinion.    Not
sure which is faster/better to use in general with the default auto first
go-around.  The PP mavens on FM seem to like Noiseware, but by no means say it
is always superior.  Both are better than the one in ACR.  DXO raw converter
and noise reduction is quite good,
but doing that and exporting a Tiff is a slow pain.  Both dedicated utilities I
would think would be better though there may an intrinsic advantage at Raw
level Noise removal.

Mike