Re: [OM] 11,11,11

Subject: Re: [OM] 11,11,11
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:35:10 -0600
Bob Wrote:
> ...but on a deeper level, I would not have missed the experience. There's
> something about having been at the very center of
> something that can't be replicated except by being, well, at the very center
> of something.

Bob, that is so very true. There have been things in my life which
were not necessarily "positive experiences" but were very formative to
my being. They defined who I am--both good and not so good. I would
have preferred not going through my teenage years, but that's another
story. I never was in the military. Had I chosen a different path of
life, I would have probably been a "lifer" in the US Coast Guard.
Growing up on the Great Lakes, this was something that I was really
interested in. 30 years later, I can still dream. That boat has long
since left the dock, though.

Every country (even those who claim peaceful existance) need an armed
force. It's just the way it is. Some countries exist in some pretty
rough neighborhoods, too. An armed force requires able bodies and a
lot of them. Whether the individuals ever see conflict is secondary to
the fact that they must exist. These individuals are OUR
representatives. When armed conflict does occur, many will sacrifice
with their lives. For this, a country and its people must be thankful.

A lot of countries are represented on this lens. Some of them have
even fought against each other at some point in our histories.
Whatever the reasons involved, those who fought, no matter the side,
are to be honored for their service to their country. Those who died
are to be remembered. Those who survived, survive with memories.

AG