Re: [OM] Replacement battery for E-30

Subject: Re: [OM] Replacement battery for E-30
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:44:24 -0500
You are correct.  The all work perfectly... until they don't.  Lithium
ions have a very nasty habit of catching fire from time to time.
Unfortunately, water does not extinguish the fire (but may help cool it
if you flood it well enough).  Fire and even a possible explosion can
result if the battery is short circuited.  Since this is well known a
properly built lithium-ion has a small computer chip inside to monitor
charge rate, temperature and discharge rate.  Should something go awry
the smart little chip is supposed to disable the contacts to shut the
battery down.  But those little chips are costly relative to the total
battery price.  You can put a resistor in there at a fraction of the
price.  Guess which manufacturers do that.  Hint:  You can't tell
without disassembling the battery.  Your only protection is the brand
name of a well known manufacturer who cares for his reputation.

Proof of danger?  See section III, page 2
<data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiumion_psds.pdf>

Chuck Norcutt