Re: [OM] 2 orchids, 1 new stack

Subject: Re: [OM] 2 orchids, 1 new stack
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:16:09 -0500
Sorry. Vocabulary overload. Plug-in suites such as Nik and onOne have spiffy
ways of doing things that are either very hard in Photoshop, or very tedious.
They'll also do a lot of stuff that most people never learn how to do, like
apply soft glows to things. They have names for all their gadgets. U-Point
technology with Nik, for example, acts very much like Control Point brushes in
ACR or Lightroom. They have the added advantage of making adjustments to just
the tonal range they are placed on. If you want to take a nondescript white
background down, for example, you hit it with a U-Point and then use the little
sliders to darken. If it doesn't take care of everything, you can copy the
point with its adjustments to another area. It's a quick and easy way to do
things it takes time and skill to learn to do in Photoshop. Frankly, a lot of
the time it's just worth it to go to the plug-in rather than build a stack of
20 layers in Photoshop.

I know. Clear as mud.

--Bob