Re: [OM] 2 orchids, 1 new stack

Subject: Re: [OM] 2 orchids, 1 new stack
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:32:34 -0800
On 11/13/2011 5:01 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Two more of our  Pahphiopedilum orchids that I think are very nice came
> into bloom and were too  irresistible not to subject them  to image
> stacks.
> ... Didn't finish the other stack processing yet-- think it
> is a deep stack of almost 20 images.
>

> http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Macro-2011/17867689_kKxpHP#1582461292_zt2n9Qm-XL-LB

Perfect lighting.

I like the background quite a bit; it complements the flower. I would probably
crop to 8x10 or 11x14 proportions, and
thus lose the brighter green wedge lower right. Then clone or blur out the
bright edginess along the central rib of the
OOF leaf. Overall better, I suspect, than the flat background without any
detail you were talking about trying. Or was
that only for Marnie's arrangements?

At modest sizes, it looks great, or would to all but the eagle eye. On a 10"
tall image on screen, I can see some
variation in sharpness of the cilia/hairs along the edges, but doubt anyone
else would notice.

Looking at the original size at 100%, my first thought was that uneven
sharpness with depth meant that you need more
slices and maybe f8 to get even sharpness. I don't know, though, at what
apertures Bigfoot is sharpest. With older
glass, one would expect an f2.5 lens to be optimal at f8. However, I know that
my Tammy 90/2.8 is noticeably sharper
wide open than at f8.

Then I looked again, and I wonder if there may (also?) be a problem with the
stacking software.

Here, the complexities of depth and variations of sharpness seem to more or
less make sense; more slices and/or greater
DOF in the lens would appear to be the answer.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/Final-stack-Paph-DSLCE_cr1.jpg>
Here too, it's easy to imagine that the soft areas on the left edge of the
(petal? sepal?) match in depth the softish
area on the left side of the central cup.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/Final-stack-Paph-DSLCE_cr2.jpg>
But what about this area? It appears that the edge here is behind most of the
flower, so the edge that protrudes forward
should intersect one or two other slices. But it seems to cover quite a bit of
depth that is all soft before going back
into focus again.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/Final-stack-Paph-DSLCE_cr3.jpg>

All speculation without the flower or a 3D image in front of me ...

How did the 20 slice image come out?

Sharpish Moose