[OM] You're rich. Buy your own, OK?

Subject: [OM] You're rich. Buy your own, OK?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:58:43 +1100
#1 son sent me a message a couple of days ago - he's finally written about
photography - in a way.
He seemed to find this quite amusing -

"I got this mini-scoop into The Times today:"
• Another sign that the days of the corporate freebie are over. Joe Baratta,
the most senior member of Blackstone’s private equity team in Europe,
spearheaded the £100 million-plus investment in Leica in October. The private
equity heavy hitter mentioned at that time that he was lusting after a Leica
camera, having completed the deal for a 44 per cent stake in the German
company. A month on and City Diary learns that Mr Baratta finally has his
Leica. However, we were surprised to learn that he had to fork out for the
camera from his own pocket. “Aren’t you in private equity? Don’t you earn
enough money to buy your own?” Mr Baratta was asked when he inquired whether he
could have one on the house. Typical teutonic frugality or a sign that the
company is very tightly run?

I explained to him that the nice folk at Leica only admire two types of people
- very good photographers and very good camera designers. The rest of us can
cough up.
And Chris B, if you want to criticise his grammar I'll let him know and give
him your phone number. And you really, really don't want me to do that. He can
be a very grumpy young man.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx