Re: [OM] OT (sort of): They Finally Did It!!

Subject: Re: [OM] OT (sort of): They Finally Did It!!
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:36:30 -0700

> >    Yesterday, all of the photo viewing options (zoom and enlarge) were
> > gone, as was the Add to Watch List button.  I was trying to get a closer
> > look at a Hanimex lens.  Shortly after that, I found a blog about those
> > and one reviewer said it was like using the bottom of a coke bottle.
> > That's as good as the review I once read about "The Curse of Lono" by
> > Hunter S. Thompson.  One reviewer said "I don't know how many trees were
> > sacrificed to print this book, but one would have been too many".
> >

> I have a Hanimex 135 lens that I tested and found it to resemble a Coke
> bottle.  I have caniballized it for useful parts.  However, I have a
Hanimex
> meter that I have used for years, and it just keeps on truckin'.

    I was looking at a Hanimex 28-80mm 2-touch plus or possible 3-touch as I
have an ongoing interest in lenses of that range.  I already have a Tokina
28-70mm and a Tamron 28-80mm (both 2-touch) that I like, and I now have a
Sun Optical 28-80mm 3-touch (#130599270389) in the mail.  Seems that zooms
going below 35mm typically have some sort of shortcoming, and every so often
I find one that looks promising.  I found the Sun lens purely by accident as
it comes with a 72mm UV filter, so it showed up in my wants last week.  All
the lenses I have that are made by Sun are every bit as good as those that I
have that are made by Tokina or Olympus, and it seems that they are the only
outfit that made 3-touch lenses.

Chris