[OM] Comparing 50 mm lenses

Subject: [OM] Comparing 50 mm lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:00:42 -0800
While at Mike & Marnie's last month, there was a new Marnie floral composition
to photograph. I took the opportunity to
compare three different 50 mm focal length lenses.

I've been curious for some time how the 50s Zeiss f2.8 TessarT might compare to
later lenses. I can't do that on the 5D,
as the Tessar interferes with the mirror, but now can do so on the 60D.

Unfortunately, my Canon 50/1.8 AF lens is still in Montana, so only three
lenses compared:
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/50mm_lenses/50mmcomp.htm>

Olympus Zuiko 50/1.8, final, miJ version
Carl Zeiss Jena 50/2.8 Tessar T
Tamron 28-300/3.5-6.3 A06

They aren't quite the same focal lengths, the Zeiss longer than the Zuiko and
the Tamron at what it thinks is 50mm quiet
a bit shorter. I've scaled the Tammy up and the Zeiss down to match the Zuiko,
but the perspectives are still slightly
different.

Not that much difference in bokeh, but lots of color, contrast, etc.
differences.

50 MM Moose