Re: [OM] Comparing 50 mm lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Comparing 50 mm lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 02:59:57 -0800
On 11/19/2011 6:35 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Marnie was tickled her bucket was used on lens test. On the calibrated
> monitor she preferred the f8Tammy rendition too.

The trick, of course is that nobody can really remember colors. I was just
reading about some perceptual tests that
proved that. So in one sense, it's impossible to be sure which is closer to the
now nonexistent original subjects.

My sense is that the Zuiko is further off than the other two.

> I trust the focal plane was identical as possible and minimal PP identical.

You saw me doing it. i focused as closely to the same as I could.

> (well, I'd bet a bundle on it, it is a Moose test afterall)  Perhaps just a
> tad of
> capture sharpening of the RAW files?

Nope, no PP other than trying to match the tops of the histograms, scaling to
match each other and downsampling.

> I don't remember if he focused with mag LV at the exposure aperture to
> eliminate focus shift.

Neither do I, for sure. Focusing at shooting aperture avoids focus shirt, but
makes accurate focus more difficult.
Focusing wide open is easier to nail, but risks focus shift.

> The Zuiko and Tammy appear to be clearly tad sharper especially apparent on
> the vase.

Is it tape, or is it memorex? That is, is it lens sharpness, Moose's ability to
focus or DOF? I don't know for sure.

> I think the 50 super Tak would outperform the CZJ. I did have a
> later C/Y within 15 ft of the test as well as the Z. 50 mmf2 macro to
> see how they fared. Perhaps next visit.

:-)

> I see what Chuck means- seems a tad more exposure with the CZJ making
> other comparisons more difficult.

Guess I have to take another look at that.

> I thought Moose tried the C/Y 35-70 too but that might have been
> another shot.

I remember playing with it. Certainly not for this little comparison. I don't
recall if I shot with it or not. Remember,
we had an outing to Cape Anne Hill to go on, and limited time for techie
foolishness.

Moose